Enjoying Christmas Even When it’s Hard


While the movies and songs make it seem as though Christmas is a magical time during which we all get along, the reality is that the holidays can be overwhelming and stressful.  We feel so much pressure to find the perfect gifts for friends and family, to attend community events, and to send Christmas cards that the sparkle of the season is often dulled.
To add to the holiday pressure, we still have our regular jobs and obligations to attend to. If, like me, you’re regular job is retail than the holidays can seem not only overwhelming but oppressive as well.  Stores are crowded with costumers, merchandise, and seasonal hires. Materialism mounts as people fill their carts and grow testy with employees. Employees, overworked and tired, grow testy with co -workers and customers alike.
If I sound a bit jaded, it’s because I have worked retail since I was old enough to work.  Retail can be downright brutal during the holidays. People can stress over buying gifts that they wrack up distressing amounts of debt. Some Christmases, I have to force myself to not only buy and wrap presents, but to enjoy it. Missing my mom only makes enduring the holiday harder.
But even at my most Grinch like, I could never fully hate the holiday. One, as a Christian, Christmas is the birth of Christ, therefore a season of hope and change. Second, it really is a wonderful time, despite the stress that accompanies it. I love giving gifts to my friends and family. I love decorating for Christmas and I love Christmas music and movies.  I even love the snow when I can stay home and enjoy it. Don’t even get me started on holiday treats, egg nog, gingerbread, hot chocolate, I love it all.

Christmas Hot Chocolate from Ballyhoo 


No matter how down I feel during the holidays, I remember what they are really about, salvation, love, family, and friends. I try to space out my gift shopping, bookmarking items online, buying things as I see them (working at a store makes these easy).  After a rough day at work, watching my favorite Christmas movies cheers me up. Elf is a hilarious, light hearted movie that always makes me laugh.
20 Elf Quotes You Can Use Any Time of Year. Just love this movie!
Re-reading A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens or watching one of the many movies is a very good way for me to remember that Christmas is about love and giving. I pray every year that my buying gifts and sending cards are not stressful. I never want to go into debt or a panic; that is not in keeping with the season at all.
Christmas Display at Pilgrim Congregational Church  
I’m not saying that anyone can avoid stress completely during the holidays, all I’m saying is that you don’t need to be stressed out the entire time. It’s ok to not spend a lot of money, to not bake as much, and to say no sometimes. Do what makes you feel “Christmassy” and allows you time with those you love.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Watch After Stranger Things

Robin Hood is one of the Best Disney Movies

Renn Faire in the Rain