For Dolly
As long as I can remember, there was Dolly Parton. I listened to her wonderful music on the radio. I listened as 8 tracks turned into cassettes, then CD's and still when I could stream her music on my phone. My family watched every one of her movies that we could find. I may not have gone to Disney World as a child, but I sure went to Dollywood several times. I was even able to see her in concert twice, once when I was five and again when I was in college, which was breaking the rules my college had about secular concerts, but seeing Dolly was totally worth it. Years later, I got the covid 19 vaccine that she funded.
It seemed as though she was always in the background of my life, like a well loved movie playing while I did my chores, and like a well loved movie, she taught me important lessons while entertaining. In 9to5, she taught me to stand up not just for others but for myself as well. She lived out the words of Christ spending her hard earned money on those who needed it, with books, money to recover from the Tennessee fire, and countless others. She showered love and acceptance wherever she went. In an odd way, I feel like she helped raise me along with Mom and Dad, modeling creativity, charity, and love.
Comments
Post a Comment