Frozen 2 : An Epic Fantasy


I finally got around to seeing Frozen 2, and I loved it, which isn’t a surprise. It takes a lot for me to dislike a movie, much less hate it.  I’m a much harsher book critic for some reason.  
 IMAX & Dolby Cinema Reveal “Frozen 2” Movie Posters – Prospective Pixie Dust



            While I love the first movie, I think I loved the sequel even more. It has some of the best world building I’ve ever seen in a Disney movie. In fact the character development, plot development, and world building were amazing for any movie. 
 Into the Unknown: Elsa's Epic Journey in FROZEN 2



            The thought that struck me throughout the movie was that it felt like a fantasy story. Yes, Disney movies always have a fantasy element, talking animals, fairy godmothers, witches, magic, and so on. Animated Disney movies have become their own genre so much that sometimes I think of them as Disney and not fantasy.  I love them but when I’m thinking of my favorite fantasy movies, I don’t always think to include them.
 



            However, Frozen 2 felt like Disney and fantasy together. In some ways, it was almost like a Dungeons and Dragons campaign or even reminiscent of Tolkien’s tales, with its uncovering of uncomfortable truths, uncovering of family and even national secrets.  There were also themes of unlocking power, not just magic but of self-awareness and the strength of community and family.  

            There was also an unexpected 80’s style love ballad, which was as hilarious as it was heartfelt.  I find myself humming or singing it quite often 

and at the most random times.
            Disney really does put out some of the best fantasy movies and I have Frozen 2 to thank for reminding me of that. The movies are not just Disney fantasy; they are fantasy just as much as Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter, though of course I realize that some themes go deeper than others.
            It’s strange how I separated the two for so long, but I’m now I’m curious to rewatch the Disney movies viewing them from this point of view.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Watch After Stranger Things

Robin Hood is one of the Best Disney Movies

Renn Faire in the Rain