My First Steampunk Convention



This past weekend I attended my first Steampunk convention with a friend. Though I looked at the event’s website and Facebook page, I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect at the Steampunk and Fantasy Showcase.  After navigating the crowded parking lot and traveling through the sports complex section of the building, we finally looked up and saw a cluster of parasols on the second level. Encouraged by this old timey beacon of Steampunk goodness, we made our way up the stairs to the registration desk.
After getting our admission wrist bands, we strolled along the vendor lined hallway. Almost instantly, something shiny caught my eye, a wooden pin with a silver ribbon and dragon from Design by Night.  After buying it and chatting with the man working the stand, we moved along, each stand pulling us forward to examine hats, jewelry, plaques, coats, soap, magic wands, and the afore mentioned parasols, even a magician. 












Aside from buying a few more things, we also had some wonderful conversations with the vendors, who not only were running the stands, but had made most if not all of the items. At this point, we turned the corner and realized that aside from the panels being conducted there were even more vendors down the next hallway.
While my friend participated in waltz lessons I met a man who builds and races….teapots, actually remote control cars modified to hold teapots.  It was adorable to see the little teapot racer zoom around with a toddler happily chasing after it.
 After visiting the other vendors, more awesome jewelry, corsets, finger puppets, hats, dresses, art, and swords, we went to a fascinating panel about Victorian attitudes toward ghosts led by author and vendor, Leanna Renee Hieber.
The day ended with a concert by Steampunk band Nightwatch Paradox, a magic show by Bad Idea Entertainment and another concert by Mikey Mason. The shows were very good and a lot of the songs were stuck in my head, in a wonderful way, mostly the relatable I am the Opposite of Cool byMikey Mason.


The next day we revisited some vendors, chatting and of course doing some more shopping.  Nightwatch Paradox performed again followed by a contest competition, which my friend participated in but sadly did not win.
While there was some disorganization my overall impression of the event was very positive. I left with some new jewelry for me, some Christmas gifts for friends and family, and a lot of business cards.  I had a great time and discovered a lot of awesome makers, some books to read, and some wonderful music to further explore. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Watch After Stranger Things

Robin Hood is one of the Best Disney Movies

Renn Faire in the Rain