The Holiday Hope Chest


Sounds like a great name for a Hallmark Christmas movie, doesn’t it?  I was watching Hallmark Christmas movies today as I did laundry and other household chores.  I was vacuuming the living room so that it would be clean when my dad came to help put up the Christmas tree, when I remembered Christmas decorations that I usually put up in my bedroom.  It occurred to me that not only had I not found them this year, but it had been so long since I had, that I had no idea where they were.
After checking the obvious places in my room, I cleaned off the top of my hope chest, thinking that perhaps the missing décor was inside. I found not only the three items I had in mind but enough items to completely fill the large wooden chest.
Aside from the Christmas fairy figurine, Christmas NYC postcard and picture, I found holiday decorations I had put aside years and years ago. I say holiday because I found not only Christmas but Halloween décor as well. Most of the Christmas decorations I remembered from my childhood, some I had no idea where they came from.
Not only did I, find holiday decorations, I found cups, dishes and kitchen towels. I even found knickknacks from my childhood room. I don’t remember storing most of the items I found and some I don’t remember being given or buying at all.
Some of the items Mom gave me specifically for the hope chest, meaning I would have them when I moved out, married, and had a home of my own. They included a recipe card box filled with her handwritten recipes and homemade potholder.  Those made me miss Mom even more than I usually do around the holidays.
Finding those items that Mom made or bought me also made me very grateful for the time I had with her, especially around Christmas. I wondered why I had left the hope chest closed for long. Was it simple laziness? I do have things on top of the chest, so opening it does mean taking time to move things around.  While I’m sure laziness played a part, I think it was sadness mingled with apathy. The contents either made me miss Mom or reminded me that I was not married with a place of my own.  In order not to be sad, I chose not to care.   To be honest, I don’t know why I kept my hope chest closed for long. Most likely the reasons are a jumbled mix of all the reasons I suggested. 
Rather than focus on regrets, I want to focus on good memories and creating new ones. I am donating some of the items, some I gave to Dad, and some are sitting in the chest waiting for me to decide their future.  I put most of the Christmas decorations up to enjoy this year.

 Christmas and life are mostly what we as individuals make them. Even though I work retail, I don’t want to lose sight of the love and sharing that is Christmas and that is what I have taken away from my holiday hope chest.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Watch After Stranger Things

Robin Hood is one of the Best Disney Movies

Renn Faire in the Rain