A Very Fond Farewell



A few days ago my father and I continued a tradition we began when The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was released into theatres. We have gone to see the Hobbit movies every year as part of his Christmas present.  Now, this is not a movie review, rather my sentiments toward a story that has been a major part of my life.

I was first introduced to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien as a toddler when my father would read The Hobbit to my brother and I. Later on we watched and re watched the animated version of not just The Hobbit but The Lord of The Rings as well. I loved the stories then and began reading the books in fifth or sixth grade.  I remember being quite taken with Legolas, his bravery, his kindness, and his willingness to befriend a dwarf when other elves scorned them. I highlighted most of Aragorn's and Sam's speeches and copied many quotes into my diary. I admired Bilbo and the dwarves for facing the dragon and Bard for finishing the dragon off.  In truth, I loved all the people of Middle Earth because even ones like Gollum had valuable lessons to teach.  People ask who my favorite person is and I list about ten.

When The Fellowship of the Ring movie came out during my high school years, I was both excited and apprehensive, after all, I loved the books and did not want them ruined. Though would some disagree, I do not feel they have been.  Yes, there are bits and pieces of the LOTR and Hobbit films that annoy me, but all that I love far outweighs the flaws.

I will always remember how I felt sitting in that movie theater and seeing The Shire on the big screen. I cried. It was like going home somehow, seeing this land I had loved since childhood.  Bravery, family, friendship, courage, are all lessons I have learned from the people's of Middle Earth and I hope to continue to live out those lessons in this new year.

Though, I would be quite happy with new Middle Earth themed movies, this is , as Bilbo would say, "the end". While I am disappointed with this, I am thankful for the books and movies that brought so much joy and happiness into my life and changed it in the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Watch After Stranger Things

Robin Hood is one of the Best Disney Movies

Renn Faire in the Rain