Time with Dad

Last weekend I got to spend some time with my dad at the  Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire. Even though I attend many times, I find the people I go with influence the experience.  While last time my friends and I followed the story line shows, my dad and I wondered about catching shows by chance.
Such as this one, Pastimes. I've heard this group on their reproduction hurdy gurdys while in line to get inside the fair grounds, I've never attended one of their shows. It was very informative as they gave not just the history of the instruments but of the songs they played as well. The music was enjoyable, perhaps not something I'd listen to aside from the faire, but still pleasant and the history was presented in an informal, interesting manner.
After that, I suggested seeing Tartanic, a drum and bagpipe group that plays more modern Celtic, and other music. It was neat comparing and contrasting the two shows. Tartanic is an incredibly fun group that performs at various other Renaissance Faires and modern style venues.
Then it was off to eat dinner at the new Anchor and Mermaid Tavern, the first sit down service restaurant at the faire. While the seating service was rather slow, once our server took our orders the food arrived very quickly. The menu is small, but excellent. I had roast beef and mashed potatoes and Dad ordered the bangers and mash. We also had a freshly baked loaf of bread and butter to share. I think once the staff grows accustomed to sit down service, it will be even better than it is now.

We also watched an archery demonstration that talked about both history and technique. I must confess I left wanting to shoot like Merida from Brave, and while I could have purchased a bow and quiver of arrows, I lack the shooting space at home. However, one of my friends has such a space and is saving up to purchase her own bow, which I believe is handmade by the demonstrators. 
Then it was off to see a group called Mudwood,
who was performing  that weekend only. Aside from singing folk style music they also created a rather impressive mud sculpture on the faire grounds which will remain as long as the weather permits. 
We also explored the Imaginrium Museum, which is located in one of the shops. In all the years I've attended, I've never gone thought the entire store.  My dad, however took my niece and nephew in last season and thought I would enjoy it as well.  The store sells exquisite dragon puppets, and the museum showcases the artists who creates the puppets, other works.
I couldn't believe how many new things I experienced at a place I thought I knew so well! I think that's why I love revisiting some places, to see how they and you, have grown.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Watch After Stranger Things

Robin Hood is one of the Best Disney Movies

Renn Faire in the Rain