Gettysburg

This Monday I got the chance to go to Gettysburg, PA. I'm a huge history buff with a particular fondness for the Civil War. My favorite movie as a kid was Gettysburg. I'm not a history nerd at all (insert sarcastic chuckle). My friend  Mel and I explored most of the battlefield including Devil's Den and Little Round Top, which aside from their historical significance are quite beautiful.  

Devil's Den
Now this is a bit creepy. The place I'm standing in is where that iconic picture of the dead solider was taken. 

  









































The view from Little Round Top 




















After exploring we drove to the visitors center and museum and my personal favorite the
Cyclorama gallery. It's a detailed panting of Pickett's Charge hat wraps around a circular room. It was quite special for me because the last time I was there it was in an older building was being torn down due to asbestos and they park officials were concerned about moving the painting. The tour guide even said that they might not be able to move it and the painting could be lost. I was so relived to see it again and looking even better than I recalled!



  












After viewing the painting we visited the museum and then resumed our tour of the battle field. 


















It was a great visit. We got to combine nature and history. I think it's important to remember the past, learn from the mistakes and triumph in the successes. Also, just getting out and exploring is important, even if you don't learn everything, as long as you learn a bit and enjoy the day. I know I did.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Watch After Stranger Things

Robin Hood is one of the Best Disney Movies

Renn Faire in the Rain